Thursday, May 16, 2013

5 Best Songs About Fathers

I know that everyone has lists, but I couldn't resist making one myself. These are my favourite songs about being a father. Strangely enough, lots of songs about father - son conflict and not so much about the father-daughter relationship. Anyway, here they are. My 5 favourite songs (actually 6) ...



Father and Son - Cat Stevens

I've always been a fan of Cat Stevens (or Yusuf). This beautiful song featured on the 1970 album "Tea for the Tillerman". The song frames a conversation between a son and a father. The son thinks it's time to break away and find his own destiny, while the father doesn't seem to understand why. Although a lot of people thought that Cat Stevens was taking the side of the son (also taking into account the era the song was written in); while talking to Rolling Stone magazine he explained: "Some people think that I was taking the son’s side," its composer explained. "But how could I have sung the father’s side if I couldn’t have understood it, too? I was listening to that song recently and I heard one line and realized that that was my father’s father’s father’s father’s father’s father’s father’s father speaking."



Daughter / Rufus is a Tit Man - Loudon Wainwright III

So I found this song about a father and a daughter. Having just become a father to a baby girl, I just had to include this beautiful ode to a daughter.


While I was doing research, I found this little gem of a song "Rufus is a tit man" by Loudon Wainwright III. I had to include it in this list as it's very funny (and true!!). It made J. laugh with tears in her eyes and for that reason alone it can go in this list.




Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin

The next song is almost a warning for every dad out there. When you have a family, you try to work and and provide for them, but at one point you might realise that you didn't spend enough time with your kids and they have grown up. It's always a balance I'm trying to strike. How to have a comfortable life, but at the same time, spend enough time with J. and the kids....


A Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash

I don't think I agree on the parenting style... But it's a great song... I wonder what Dr. Sears thinks of this?? hahaha...

>

Isn't She Lovely - Stevie Wonder

This songs sums it up how I felt when my daughter was born. 

OK, I know there are a lot of other songs out there that could make the cut. Do you have any suggestions or feel that I should have included other songs? Just let me know.


1 comment:

  1. Rufus is a Tit Man is legend! Been around for a while! Rufus grew up and also became a singer but he's not into tits anymore youknowwhaImean;-)!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you comments !!

ShareThis